Thursday, November 1, 2012

“When They Came For Me:”
In Germany, they came first for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then…they came for me…and by that time there was no one left to speak up.”
-Pastor Martin Niemoeller’s poem about Nazi Germany.


I use this poem as my first blog as a reminder that we must speak up. What I have witnessed of our broken judicial system makes me believe that if it continues our country is going to destroy itself from the inside.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children has reported that in June
·         The US Census population for the US in 2010 is 308,745,538. That means about one in every 417 people in the US is on the sex offender registry.
·         If they all lived in one solitary city, they would make the 17th largest city in the US, eight thousand more than Charlotte, NC and just two thousand less than the 16th Largest City—Ft. Worth, TX.
·         If they all moved to one state, they would out number every resident of the following states—Alaska, North Dakota, Vermont, or Wyoming.
·         In May 2007, the NCMEC reported there were 602,189 Registered Sex Offenders. In 49 months between May 2007 and June 2011, there were 137,664 new registrants added; that is 33,714 new registrants in a year, 2,809 in a month, 92 per day, 4 per hour, or about one new registrant added every 15 minutes.
·         At the current 33,714 per year average is maintained, the registrant population will top 1 million by March, 2019 (7 years and 9 months from June 2011). (Once Fallen)

My question is if the per-year average is maintained, then how is this list helping? There are still victims of sexual crimes as there have been all through the history of the world. Rape is not a new phenomenon and sexual promiscuity is alive and well. Even though condoms are handed out in schools, if the student were caught in any consenting sexual act, they were convicted as sex offenders. Men caught urinating in public went to prison and are now spending the rest of their lives on the SOR being ostracized by the public and possibly having their lives threatened. No one will hire them, and they have to live in the woods somewhere away from the children to whom they are apparently a threat. How do we continue to allow politicians to create laws that destroy lives based on the fears of their uneducated constituents?

Here is where I begin my quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment