Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Another conviction reversal is posted on the Innocence Project fb.

“Bad lawyering” has been one of many consistent contributors to wrongful convictions. In retrospect, the evidence supporting innocence often appears obvious and substantial in many cases. However, if discovered after conviction due to an inadequate investigation or effort by defense counsel, correcting the error is often a laborious, time-consuming, costly endeavor. The California Innocence Project quantified the financial cost of Madrigal’s wrongful incarceration alone to be $405,000.

http://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/2012/11/19/conviction-reversal-illustrates-importance-of-competent-defense-counsel/

So many times I have read that false convictions are often due to wrong accounts by witnesses. I had to laugh when driving down the freeway I had to slow due to a fender bender in the median. My friend said it was a silver passenger truck and a car. I said it was a silver full size van and a car. Both of us thought we saw the same thing but obviously the only thing we agreed on was the color and that there were two vehicles involved. I'm glad we weren't testifying at a trial. One of us had to be wrong but I'd bet the prosecutor would pick the witnessed who corroborated the story they wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment